Re: Question: Does usbip support USB 3.0?

Hi Greg,

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 11:05:47AM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> > I did the experiment. Our device "requires" that the SUPER_SPPED be used.
> > So, we are attempting to add SUPER_SPEED support to usbip. To assess the
> > effort, could you please give us some pointers on how to do it? And what
> > are the difficulties?
>
> As others have pointed out, you will have to change the code to do this,
> and it will be easier if you only need a speed change, and not streams.
> But why do you really need a speed indicator?  What happens if you just
> report that the device is "high speed" to the host instead?  It should
> not affect the transmit speeds, right?

I don't understand how to just "report" the device as "high speed". Doesn't
the device specify which speed? Moreover, it seems the device doesn't compromise
on speed - when I inserted it into a USB 2.0 port, it doesn't work.

> Also, there is code within Intel for the USB-over-IP standard
> implementation that should work for this type of device.  I thought
> people were working on cleaning it up for submission to the kernel tree,
> but I haven't seen it in months.  You should dig in the archives for it,
> and work with those developers to get it merged properly, as it should
> resolve your issues.

So far, my dig hasn't found anything, but I'll keep looking for/asking...

Thanks,
Yuyang