Re: Question: Does usbip support USB 3.0?

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 09:02:11AM +0800, Yuyang Du wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 08:51:03AM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> > And again, what specifically are you referring to, and again, have you
> > tried the code out yourself?  What is preventing you from testing this
> > in your environment to determine if it works properly for you or not?
>
> I did the experiment. Our device "requires" that the SUPER_SPPED be used.
> So, we are attempting to add SUPER_SPEED support to usbip. To assess the
> effort, could you please give us some pointers on how to do it? And what
> are the difficulties?

As others have pointed out, you will have to change the code to do this,
and it will be easier if you only need a speed change, and not streams.
But why do you really need a speed indicator?  What happens if you just
report that the device is "high speed" to the host instead?  It should
not affect the transmit speeds, right?

Also, there is code within Intel for the USB-over-IP standard
implementation that should work for this type of device.  I thought
people were working on cleaning it up for submission to the kernel tree,
but I haven't seen it in months.  You should dig in the archives for it,
and work with those developers to get it merged properly, as it should
resolve your issues.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h