Re: add URB_ZERO_PACKET in transfer_flags for usb-skeleton.c

On Thu, 2016-12-08 at 16:16 +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 12:09:46AM +0900, Jae Joong Kim wrote:
> > > Do you have a driver that was based on this skeleton that needed this
> > > flag to be added to work properly?  Has it been updated in the kernel
> > > source tree properly for it?
> > >

> > Yes, Based on the skeleton driver, I made a bulk driver with
> > URB_ZERO_PACKET and
> > it works fine both my notebook(ubuntu 15.04/kernel 3.19) and my target
> > board(Embedded Linux/kernel 2.6)
> > With the bulk driver, I am developing USB logging daemon.
>
> That's great.  But, the biggest problem with the skeleton driver is
> that it is not really needed anymore.  Very rarely do we need to ever
> write a new USB driver these days.  Things like a "USB logging daemon"
> using bulk endpoints can be easier to write in userspace using libusb,
> and have it work on all operating systems.  Kernel USB drivers are a
> rare thing for brand new types of devices anymore, which is nice.

Well, that is not very helpful. The driver is there for the cases
an example is needed. Unless you want to remove it, it better
be as good as possible.

And then it is true that with URB_ZERO_PACKET we are closer to the
standard, which in an example is better.
The main point is that in an example we cannot use a flag without
a comment explaining what it does.

	Regards
		Oliver