Re: Custom MSC Driver

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 07:56:02AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 12:47:27PM +0530, Madhukar G wrote:
> > > Are you sure that really is doing what you think it is doing?
> > > (hint, it isn't...)
> > >
> > > Try using the correct flag here and it will work much better...
> > >

> > I tried using IGNORE_DEVICE but i got compilation errors (undeclared
> > expression). Currently I'm using kernel version 2.6.14. Is this flag
> > not available in this version.
>
> Wow, that kernel is many years old, why are you using such an obsolete
> kernel for new development?  I would encourage you to use a more modern
> kernel release.
>
> > Can you let me know the correct flag that i can use?
>
> IGNORE_DEVICE is the correct one.
>
> > > I still don't understand why you are writing a separate usb-storage
> > > driver for your device.  Please explain this.
> > >

> > My aim is to modify a mass storage class driver with USB attached SCSI
> > protocol stack (available in www.t10.org). At the same time i wanted
> > to have a separate driver for generic mass storage class devices.

People who aren't on the T10 committee can't access that spec.  If
you're a member of usb.org, you can access the USB class specification
they're working on for UASP USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices:

	https://www.usb.org/apps/org/workgroup/uasp/

> They should be the same driver, why split them apart?
>
> > The only difference between generic mass storage device and UASP
> > device is that, UASP device provides an additional interface
> > descriptor and share the same device class (USB_CLASS_MASS_STORAGE).
>
> That should not be enough to have to create a whole new driver, right?

That's not the only difference that the UASP driver will need to handle.
See http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=123313308402780&w=2 for more info on
what it will need to support.  I don't think this will require a whole
new MSD driver though.  The UASP support should just be integrated into
the current MSD driver.

> And again, why are you using 2.6.14 for new development?

I agree with Greg that you should use a newer kernel.  I'm not going to
backport the USB 3.0 and xHCI patches to 2.6.14, so you're SOL when you
want to test a USB 3.0 UASP device on 2.6.14.  You should use the latest
tree from Linus instead:

	git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git

I'll have my patches based against the latest Linus tree (whenever I get
approval to post them).

Sarah Sharp