Re: [RFC] pass sg lists to HCDs if supported

On Tuesday 03 February 2009, Alan Stern wrote:
> > > Ah, but you're forgetting the possibile cases in which the controller
> > > doesn't support DMA.
> >
> > I don't think it's useful to speculate on possible hardware.  If
> > hardware like this is produced then we can revisit this.
>
> What do you mean?  Of course hardware like this exists, and Linux
> contains drivers for it.  Otherwise there would be no reason for the
> code to be written the way it is.

Example, sl811hs is PIO-only.  (Which reminds me, it's worth
hooking up that CF card and making sure it didn't stop working
since last time.)  Not exactly the latest/hottest hardware, but
significant to various users.

And I tend to use musb_hdrc in PIO mode, thereby avoiding all
the hassles associated with integration of the various random
DMA engines, and when they need to fall back to PIO (or not).
That's pretty much a daily thing; that IP is found in current
mainstream embedded hardware from several vendors.

Most vendors selling USB host controllers that don't try to
conform to the PC-oriented standards (EHCI, OHCI, UHCI) will
have a PIO mode, in addition to DMA support.  And that PIO
mode *will* be used in a variety of cases.

- Dave