Re: xhci_hcd crash on linux 4.7.0

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 10:58:03AM +0100, Alex Damian wrote:
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> I managed to reproduce with a untainted kernel, see dmesg paste below.
>> The stack seemed corrupted as well ?
>>
>> I refered to it as a crash since after a couple of these issues, the
>> machine hard freezes - I set up a serial console via a USB cable, but
>> I don't get the kernel oops out of the machine. The network is also
>> dead before getting any data. I could not think of any other way to
>> get a console out of a Macbook - any ideas ?
>>
>> There is a progressive level of deterioration going on below, this is
>> why I'm adding multiple pastes. See the obviously invalid pointer
>> 0000000000000001 in 3rd paste below. Also, see the protection fault in
>> the last paste. To me, something is trampling all over memory, and it
>> is usb-related.
>
> Not good, thanks for reproducing it without the closed kernel drivers.
>
> If you disable the list debug kernel option, do you have any problems
> with the machine?  We aren't having any other reports of issues like
> this at the moment, which makes me worry that it's something unique to
> your situation/hardware.

I strongly suspect it's related to the macbook 12,1 hardware. I
haven't been able
to reproduce this with other machines, including other macbook
versions with the same peripherals.

This machine has never been stable in this particular peripheral configuration.
I had Apple run all HW diagnostics on the machine, I ran the memcheck
to verify that
the RAM is ok - all results are clean. The machine is very stable under Mac OSX.

> And you don't know that it's a USB problem, only that USB is the one
> that is showing the issue.  Anyone could be writing over memory.

True. However it seems particularly related to the USB mouse - that's
how I manage
to reproduce the error.

> Also, any chance you can use 'git bisect' to track down an offending
> commit?  I'm assuming that this used to work properly and something
> recently caused the issue, correct?

The earliest kernels I've tested are in the 3.3 range. All kernels
before 4.7 just lock up.
4.7 is the first kernel where I have meaningful dmesg errors before
locking up. As such,
there is very little that I can do to bisect :(.