Re: xhci_hcd crash on linux 4.7.0

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 11:29:41AM +0100, Alex Damian wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Hope this is the right place to report a bug; if not, please direct me
> to where it should go.
>
> I am running a mainline kernel build by the Ubuntu mainline PPA, on a
> 2015 Macbook. It is being tainted by use of the vboxdrv module. I am
> repeatedly getting errors on xhci_hcd irq handler.
>
> There is detailed data below. I generally associate the error with
> plugging in the external mouse, but I can't reproduce reliably.
>

> The relevant trace in dmesg are listed below:
>
> [  699.935961] ------------[ cut here ]------------
> [  699.935971] WARNING: CPU: 2 PID: 0 at
> /home/kernel/COD/linux/lib/list_debug.c:59
> handle_cmd_completion+0x4db/0xc60 [xhci_hcd]
> [  699.935972] list_del corruption. prev->next should be
> ffff8800829fc680, but was ffff8801c12ad5c0

This isn't a "crash", but just a warning of some kernel debug options.

If you can reproduce this without the horrid vboxdrv kernel modules,
please let us know, otherwise you are going to have to ask the virtual
box developers, as there's nothing we can do if their code is loaded in
the kernel (and their code is really really really horrid, seriously, I
don't even understand how it is semi-stable at all, it's the stuff of
nightmares and there's good reasons why it is not included in the
upstream kernel releases.)

Best of luck,

greg k-h