Re: USB HID problem

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'd suggest a comment referencing the spec then :)
>
> Don't be silly.  Nobody could possibly understand the code without
> reading the spec first.  There's no need to mention the spec in a
> comment; it's an obvious prerequisite.

I've managed before.

>> Only Gigabyte knows for sure.
>
> No, only the designer of the xHCI controller that Gigabyte uses in
> the chipset knows for sure.

Etron Technology, Inc. EJ168 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 01)

There are a lot of problem hits on that controller.

> I doubt that a firmware update would have any affect, but that's just a
> guess.

Uncle.  I've ordered a PCIe controller that has a bunch of Linux-ers
saying, "works great".  Cheaper than a new mobo and everything
one could run into.

> Have you tried running a 32-bit kernel to see if it works?  If it does,
> maybe that's a clue that the high-order part of some address register
> isn't getting set properly.  But I have no idea where in the driver to
> start looking.

The boot code responds reasonably to the Apple keyboard,
but after waiting for the January molasses to pour out, I got
the same USB failures.

> The xhci-hcd maintainer might be able to help, but he's currently on
> vacation for several weeks.

This coming Monday I should have a Mailiya PCI-E to USB 3.0 Card.
"This time, for sure."  Thanks for the pointers.  Google results should
be updated to just point to an Amazon PCI-E card.