Re: USB HID problem

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016, Bruce Korb wrote:

> HI,
>
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > They come from the xHCI hardware.
>
> I'd suggest a comment referencing the spec then :)

Don't be silly.  Nobody could possibly understand the code without
reading the spec first.  There's no need to mention the spec in a
comment; it's an obvious prerequisite.

> > /* Completion Code - only applicable for some types of TRBs */
> > #define COMP_CODE_MASK (0xff << 24)
> > #define GET_COMP_CODE(p) (((p) & COMP_CODE_MASK) >> 24)
>
> > No thread handles the command; it is handled by the xHCI hardware.
>
> That explains the obscurity.  :(
>
> > Clearly, in your case the computation is done wrongly.  But it's not so
> > easy to tell why or to know how to fix the problem.
>
> Only Gigabyte knows for sure.

No, only the designer of the xHCI controller that Gigabyte uses in
the chipset knows for sure.

>  Can a firmware update fix it, or is
> it permanently burned into the controller chips?  I will ask 'em and
> hold my breath for an answer.

I doubt that a firmware update would have any affect, but that's just a
guess.

> > What happened with the iommu workaround?
>
> Nothing I have tried has been successful.  Enabled or disabled with
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX setting for iommu set to "pt" or "soft" (or
> omitted all together) yielding 6 alternates with the same results:
>     "Nope.  Not going to do it."
>
> I guess I could cripple my OS and run 32 bit, but that might waste
> some of my 32GB of RAM.  Naw.  That ain't happening.  Maybe
> it's time for another mother board.  It's 4 years old, but there's still
> plenty of power with 8-3.5GHz threads and 32GB of DDR3-1600.

Have you tried running a 32-bit kernel to see if it works?  If it does,
maybe that's a clue that the high-order part of some address register
isn't getting set properly.  But I have no idea where in the driver to
start looking.

The xhci-hcd maintainer might be able to help, but he's currently on
vacation for several weeks.

Alan Stern