Re: USB 3.0 device stack

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 05:19:15PM +0800, Kawshol Devilal SHARMA wrote:
> Hello Folks, Sarah,
>
> I wish to work on the USB 3.0 device and wish to know some fundamental
> things that must be implemented in the device for USB3.0 (Gadget frame
> work). I am copying Sarah so as to know what is implemented on her stack
> such that my device is compatible to the same things when it is available. I
> will have soon first revision of my HW to play around.
>
> In Linux host stack that we will get in the mainstream soon :)- (depends
> upon Sarah when she wants to publish? And I have a PDK form USB-IF?)

When I get to release my Linux xHCI host controller driver depends on whether
Rahman Ismail's Intel group approves the release.  If I get their approval to
ship, the host-side tree will be hosted at kernel.org.

> 1. Will data bursting be supported as off now ?

Yes, bulk TX bursting is supported in the current stack.

> 2. Will the data streaming supported as off now? If yes is it used with the
> current BOT code? How many steams are created?

I don't have stream support yet.  The code does work with a BOT USB 3.0 device
prototype I have.

> 3. StreamID is a huge number tied to the buffer of the host and device of
> endpoint. How many steams over a endpoint did you create? or you recommend
> to create?

I haven't explored this yet.  You should probably ask Steve McGowan how many
streams he thinks is necessary.  It would depend on the type of device, since
spinning media might need more streams than SSDs.

> Need some essential information for architecture of code or infrastructure
> of gadget API.
>
> Is anyone else working on updating the USB 3.0 for gadget framework ? how
> about adding the additional API required?

There are several different companies that are interested in developing the
Linux gadget framework for USB 3.0.  I'll email you offline and see if we can
work together.  Dave, do you want to be included in those conversations?

> What kernel tree I should start with. I considering to try and use a arm
> Linux development platform that supports onboard RAM to create a storage
> drive and a AHB to hook my platform. All related thoughts are welcome.

My kernel tree is currently at 2.6.27, but I will update to the latest kernel
(2.6.29-rc-whatever) before I push the code.

Sarah Sharp