Re: USB 3.0 device stack

On Friday 23 January 2009, Kawshol Devilal SHARMA wrote:
> Thanks I appreciate your response, I will start getting things
> together.  Please let me know how you would like to address this.

Start with a rough description of what needs to change,
then work up to proposals.  Remember that most folk on
this list won't have read the new specs/proposals; some
things will need explanations.  Cross-references to the
public documentation will help.  Assume iteration, and
don't blindside any maintainers with big changes; get
agreement on at least a rough plan.

Example, changes to <linux/usb/ch9.h> will cover both
host and peripheral sides of the stack; mostly new or
updated descriptors, but presumably also updating the
device speed enumeration.   That would likely go well
as a single early patch.

The basic design problem here will be converting what
comes out of the spec development process -- likely a
"formats and protocols" level spec -- into updates for
the Linux-USB stack.  Is enumeration affected?  How?
That could affect the hub and HCD interfaces.  What
(if anything) will interface and function drivers
need to understand differently?

Stuff that percolates into usbcore deserves some
discussion; ditto stuff affecting how e.g. composite
gadgets get assembled.

- Dave