Re: 2 USB WLAN dangles enumeration fails on MUSB of Blackfin

On Sunday 11 January 2009, Bryan Wu wrote:
> Hi Felipe and David,
>
> I got 2 USB WLAN dangles which unable to enumerate on MUSB of Blackfin.
> https://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/uclinux-dist/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_id=141&tracker_item_id=4669
>
> It looks like related to VBUS_ERROR retry logic.

I can't see that from what I see there.  The beagle stuff
seems to behave for my current usage ... but I've been
working on non-MUSB issues lately, and hardly touched
the USB code there.

> After one retry in
> the VBUS_ERROR handler, we got a connected USB device.
> But MUSB host tried to send out enumeration SETUP packet, it's
> timeout. I also use USB bus analyzer to capture the bus data,
> but there is no any data transmitted only some chirps.

The email referenced showed something a bit different:

  usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using musb_hdrc and address 2
  usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110
  usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110
  usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using musb_hdrc and address 3
  usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110
  usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110

Which will happen for many mysterious reasons, even on non-MUSB
hardware...

  usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using musb_hdrc and address 4
  musb_h_tx_flush_fifo 124: Could not flush host TX fifo: csr: 000a
  musb_h_tx_flush_fifo 124: Could not flush host TX fifo: csr: 000a
  usb 1-1: device not accepting address 4, error -110
  usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using musb_hdrc and address 5
  musb_h_tx_flush_fifo 124: Could not flush host TX fifo: csr: 000a
  musb_h_tx_flush_fifo 124: Could not flush host TX fifo: csr: 000a
  usb 1-1: device not accepting address 5, error -110
  hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

That "can't flush TX fifo" thing is very annoying when it shows up.
And of course, it doesn't show when I'm *looking* for it.  It seems
to indicate the driver waltzed the hardware into the wall, and does
not know how to extricate itself from the rubble.  :(

> We googled the discussion between you guys here:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.omap/10469/focus=10559
> Is there any updates about this issue?

Not from me.  That discussion seems to me to have related to some
other issues, IMO ... it's not like there's a serious shortage of
them, that MUSB hardware can be annoying to work with!

For my own information:  is Blackfin MUSB behaving more or less
OK in mainline -- the integration didn't fail horribly, and no
major surgery is needed to fix it?  (Bugs are another thing!)

- Dave