Re: software USB loopback device for Linux?

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, [ISO-8859-2] Németh Márton wrote:

> I wonder if a software "USB loopback device" driver already exists,
> similar to the "lo" device in networking.

Yes; the dummy_hcd driver acts very similar to a network loopback
interface.  However USB is different from networking, because the two
ends of a connection are not symmetrical.  USB works with a hosts and
devices, and dummy_hcd creates a virtual host controller together with
a virtual device controller.  See

	http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/

for more information.

> This device would show up
> as a USB hardware device when it is asked to do so from the user
> space. Then the user space "simulator" would receive all USB packets
> which would normally be sent to the USB device and the "simulator"
> could react and send USB packets in the other direction.

The "userspace simulator" is implemented by a separate driver called
gadgetfs.  There is a sample userspace program to control it available
on the page mentioned above.

Alan Stern