Re: Extending usb to do device auditing.

>> I'd like to extend the device audit subsystem to log some of the
>> device additions/removals to the kernel

> Why?  What are you going to do with this information?  What is it going
> to be used for, are you going to act on it?

Me personally, no I'm not going to act on it.  But it can be useful for
building up a profile on the events leading up to a system event such
as a compromise or perhaps at some point acting on it as part of the
audit project.

Custom IDS systems can also respond to linux kernel events as you probably
already know.

>> Why not have your audit code just register with the USB core to get the
>> data this way?  No need to modify any USB code at all.

Do you mean like an external file/function set, and just dig into the usb structs when
required ? Sure I can do that.. I thought having it in the relevant subsystem
code would be a cleaner place and easier to maintain if/when changes were made.

>> But again, what are you going to do with this information that userspace
>> doesn't already have (hint, you are keeping track of all uevents,
>> right?)

So the game plan kinda was like this:

1) Extract information about the kernel about attach/detach events (not just
USB, but PCIE, firewire, bus, hubs, etc,).

2) Find the /dev/ nodes made (as far as I can tell I can't find this easily
in the kernel, this part will need to be done via systemd (uevents).

3a) (Optionally for disks) auditctl can already log the mount/umount command,
so the whole process can be audited from that point.

3b) Other device open/close/read write will fall under normal audit rules.

Yes, ideally keeping audit logs of both would be the step forward.  I was
thinking that the udev part of systemd was the ideal place to log those
events also.

If (1) can entirely be done in systemd/udev with kobjects that is cool, I just
didn't think it could, especially for every subsystem type, and especially
before systemd starts.

Thanks,

Wade Mealing