Extending usb to do device auditing.

Gday All,

Seeking some advice, so I thought I'd talk to those involved about how I should go about this.

I'd like to extend the device audit subsystem to log some of the device additions/removals to the kernel
and figured that USB was a well maintained (and easily testable for me) subsystem that I can start with.

My initial plan of attack was to use the generic add_device notifier_block call chain and extend it per
bus type.

The USB subsystem already accepts these events via usb_bus_notify ( drivers/usb/core/usb.c ) and
it would be a matter of adding an audit function to this area.

Would this be considered the sane way to do it, and do you see any issues with this ?

Thanks in advance,

Wade Mealing