system awareness of endpoints

Hello Greg

>> I believe I can change the Device descriptors in firmware, upload the new
>> firmware and reboot the stick but wouldn't the usb subsystem have the old
>> device descriptor from the previous hotplug/system boot?

> Nope, the kernel reads the descriptor from the device when it is connected,
> you can check this yourself by doing 'lsusb -v' when it is plugged in.

  I can't make this out. Consider the following:

1. Plug in the device but do -> not <- load the driver. (ie no firmware but
   code is running in rom)) Do a lsub -v. You get the first device descriptors.

2> Attach the driver and firmware is uploaded, adds more endpoints, and
   completely rearanges the device descriptor. Do a lsusb -v. Has the host usb
   subsystem automatically done a new scan or do you still get the original
   lsusb -v.

> No need to do anything in the kernel, all should be fine as long as your
> firmware is correct.

  All this might also be moot, since it is possible that I can rearrange the
  ep's but might not be able change the device descriptor, since routines in rom
  might need to access a specific address where the device descriptor resides.

Bruce