Re: software USB loopback device for Linux?

Németh Márton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently working on a project to test video devices (webcams,
> tuners, etc.) which using the V4L2 API ( http://v4l-test.sourceforge.net/ ).
>
> There are a lot of video devices which are connected to the computer
> via USB. If I have a device available I can run the test against it.
> Some problems are exists, for example it is not so easy to create
> an automatic test which unplugs an USB device at a certain test step and
> replugs it later.
>
> If a hardware device is not available the related software driver cannot
> be tested either.
>
> I wonder if a software "USB loopback device" driver already exists,
> similar to the "lo" device in networking. This device would show up
> as a USB hardware device when it is asked to do so from the user
> space. Then the user space "simulator" would receive all USB packets
> which would normally be sent to the USB device and the "simulator"
> could react and send USB packets in the other direction.
>
> Do you know about such a driver? If not, do you think that the USB
> subsystem has a point or an interface where this can be implemented?

There's a vloopback for v4l devices. It's the only way to use certain
webcams with a lot of linux apps, but it's sadly unmaintained:

  http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/VideoFourLinuxLoopbackDevice

The latest svn does build with the latest kernel though...

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@xxxxxxxx
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Never write it in C if you can do it in 'awk';
 Never do it in 'awk' if 'sed' can handle it;
 Never use 'sed' when 'tr' can do the job;
 Never invoke 'tr' when 'cat' is sufficient;
 Avoid using 'cat' whenever possible" -- Taylor's Laws of Programming