Re: Newby trying to build a USB Driver

I'm trying to investigate linux usb stack for trying to implement a usb
driver for a device from behringer (BCD2000).
It's a mix table for DJs.
Basically, it's a midi keyboard coupled with some ADC/DAC for sound.
Of course, it's not so simple, because the device is not detected as a
standard usb-sound device (not compliant)
it's a "bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class"...
Unfortunately, this doesn't tell you much except that the vendor was too lazy to implement a standard IF.

I would like to know if there are some programs that would help me to send
raw data to this device to try to initialise it and to play with.
I've found pyusb to be very helpful for prototyping USB stuff.

Secondly, I would like to know if there is a chance to reuse some code or
if I need to rewrite all the sound and midi code (excuse for that question,
I really don't know anything from the device at this moment).
That has to be seen - the best next step would be to log the communication between device and original driver.

What I've found to be a good method is the following:
- download the binary edition of VirtualBox to your Linux machine
- install a copy of, e.g., Windows XP in a virtual machine
- install the Windows driver for your device in that VM
- start usbmon to get a log of all USB traffic
- attach the device to your computer, and then to the VM
- watch what happens during device usage

Also a happy new year,
Florian
--
"_Nothing_ brightens up my morning. Coffee simply provides a shade of
grey just above the pitch-black of the infinite depths of the _abyss_."