Re: xHCI driver issue (ASMedia Controller using xhci_hcd)

Oliver Neukum <oneukum@...> writes:

> On Thu, 2016-01-07 at 17:39 +0000, Johannes Bauer wrote:
> > > Did you see any other device failing or is it specific
> > > to your scanner?
> >
> > Unfortunately, I cannot report the same success when turning off
> > autosuspend. It doesn't have any effect, all USB 3.0 ports on my
> > system are
> > unusable.
> >
> > Different example is a RS232 converter which works perfectly fine on
> > all USB
> > 2.0 ports. But when I plug it in (4.3.3 kernel):
>
> If all devices as opposed to a specific device fail, it is an unrelated
> issue. By all means report it on the list, but in a separate thread.
>
> 	Regards
> 		Oliver

Actually *I* was the person who hijacked the thread. Sorry. I thought my
issue was the same one, but probably not.

And I was mistaken about it being an autosuspend problem in my case. The
scanner worked  happily when I first changed the timeout parameter, but the
next time I plugged it in, it didn't work. I have just compiled a new kernel
with autosuspend_check hacked to make autosuspend unavailable for all
devices and the scanner still has the problem: "temporarily unavailable"
after exactly six bulk writes of 4 or 5 bytes each.

The next time the scanimage is run, it fails immediately on the first write.
I can return to the first situation (failing after 6) either by unplugging
and re-plugging the device, or by unloading and re-loading xhci_pci and
xhci_hcd.

If it's of any interest, here's the lsusb output:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04a9:2206 Canon, Inc. CanoScan N650U/N656U
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x04a9 Canon, Inc.
  idProduct          0x2206 CanoScan N650U/N656U
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer          64 Canon
  iProduct               77 CanoScan
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           39
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              500mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           3
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol    255
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor: