Re: USB 3 XHCI Host Controller in Ubuntu

On 21.12.2015 19:39, Andor J Kiss wrote:
Hi Mathias,

	Yes, native support for the graphics is in Kernel 4.3, not 4.2
(Intel South Lake HD520 chipset).  I gather there's been a bit of
shoehorning to get 4.2 to work with this board.  4.3 should be in
Ubuntu 16.04 (next upgrade - few months).

Update on USB 3 to USB 3.  Got the ports to work with an external HDD
(wall powered).  So, it seems that the issue is a specific hardware
issue.  The USB thumbdrive is a 32GB Silicon Power USB 3.0 (http://www.
silicon
-power.com/product/product_detail.php?currlang=utf8&main=10&sub=79&pro=
269&type=sp#a_1) that was not working.

So...is it common to see product specific USB 3 issues?  Is this due to
USB 3 protocols/specifications not being implemented properly by
manufacturers?

Anyway to troubleshoot this thumbdrive, or is that a piece by piece fix
that is unfeasible?

Hi,

Some devices misbehave.
If there is a known workaround then we can add a quirk for that device.
There is a quirk list for that purpose.

Probably best to inform silicon-power that their usb thumbdrive is not working under Linux.
I'll keep this case in mind, but unless we start to see similar behavior in other devices,
or my todo list is empty, I'm not going to dig deeper into this myself.

Unless of course if you want to take this on.
Record with a usb3 analyzer the link training signaling,
both success case in Windows and failing case in Linux.

-Mathias