Re: USB 3 XHCI Host Controller in Ubuntu

Hi,

  I'll do my best - if you want more information, or I am unclear
please let me know.  I've been using Ubuntu (and Debian derived distros
for about 10 years - so hopefully I'm slightly helpful).

  I have noticed that on Ubuntu 15.10 (on a new System76 Lemur laptop -
which I believe is ACER based), and is Intel board based, that the USB
3 ports are only operational if a USB 2 device is plugged into them.
 If I plug a USB 3 device (thumbdrive, external HDD, any
(manufacturers) USB 3 device into the laptop's USB 3 port (I have two
and behaviour is the same for both) the device is not recognised.
 Using lsusb verifies the non-recognition of the USB 3 devices.  USB 2
devices work as expected on the laptop's USB 3 ports (as well as the
laptop's single USB 2 port).

How can I help & what do you need from me to help isolate the issue.

Regards,
Andor