Aw: Re: Intel XHCI: random URB_INTERRUPTs triggering port resets and device disconnects

> > Observations:
> >
> > - independent of activity/workload
>
> Are you sure about that?  In your Intel pcap file, the problem occurred
> only after long periods of inactivity: 40 seconds the first time, 150
> seconds the second time.

Yes, because it can disconnect any time. Last time it managed to disconnect during a file transfer. And also tonight I managed to capture a disconnect while just browsing a directory structure on the HDD (see below).

> The only way to turn off Link Power Management currently is to disable
> CONFIG_PM entirely.

I recompiled the 4.2.0 having disabled CONFIG_PM:

# CONFIG_PM is not set

This time there were no observable disconnects after just plugging in the device and not doing anything else (like mounting). However, a disconnect happened much later while browsing the directory structure on a mounted FS of the HDD. Surprisingly, the disconnects do not strictly correlate with the load: some heavy copying and seeking back and forth in a HD movie worked just fine. Therefore I think the disconnect would have happened on an idle connection as well.

Below is a fresh trace. The reason for the disconnect is URB_INTERRUPT again (triggered in packet #2473):

http://wikisend.com/download/150664/usb3_intel2.pcapng.gz

Cheers,

Eugen