Re: Intel XHCI: random URB_INTERRUPTs triggering port resets and device disconnects

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015, Eugen Rogoza wrote:

> Hello,
>
> in xHCI mode I'm experiencing random disconnects and reconnects of my ASMedia ASM1051-based external HDD enclosure.
>
> The only combination where the disconnects are happening is Intel USB Host Controller + Linux kernel + XHCI mode (see further observations below).
>
> I did some tracing with libpcap (can be opened in Wireshark). I did one trace on the NEC chipset where I have no disconnects and one on the Intel chipset where I do experience disconnects. The Intel output clearly shows that at some point in time a URB_INTERRUPT is sent from "1.1" (I suppose it is the hub) to the host (packet 1780) and the host requests a port reset (packet 1800). The procedure repeats after a random time (packet 3648). The NEC trace does not have such interrupts.
>
> Why is that interrupt sent? Where is it coming from?

It comes from the xHCI host controller.  It is an indication that the
link to the device became inactive, possibly as a result of Link Power
Management.

> Additional info and observations below:
>
> Observations:
>
> - independent of activity/workload

Are you sure about that?  In your Intel pcap file, the problem occurred
only after long periods of inactivity: 40 seconds the first time, 150
seconds the second time.

> - works perfectly under Windows 7 in XHCI mode
> - works everywhere (Linux and Windows) when using USB 2.0 mode (EHCI)
> - tried with kernels 4.0.5, 4.2.0 and 3.18.16 - no difference
> - enabling/disabling runtime PM and USB power management doesn't make any difference

The only way to turn off Link Power Management currently is to disable
CONFIG_PM entirely.

> - works on a different host hardware with a NEC USB3.0 host controller (see details below). Tested with kernel 3.17.7.
>
> Traces can be downloaded here:
>
> http://wikisend.com/download/136936/usb3_intel.pcapng.gz
> http://wikisend.com/download/612580/usb3_nec.pcapng.gz
>

> Output of /var/log/messages demonstrating the issue: http://pastebin.com/wbUr5mMe