Intel XHCI: random URB_INTERRUPTs triggering port resets and device disconnects

Hello,

in xHCI mode I'm experiencing random disconnects and reconnects of my ASMedia ASM1051-based external HDD enclosure.

The only combination where the disconnects are happening is Intel USB Host Controller + Linux kernel + XHCI mode (see further observations below).

I did some tracing with libpcap (can be opened in Wireshark). I did one trace on the NEC chipset where I have no disconnects and one on the Intel chipset where I do experience disconnects. The Intel output clearly shows that at some point in time a URB_INTERRUPT is sent from "1.1" (I suppose it is the hub) to the host (packet 1780) and the host requests a port reset (packet 1800). The procedure repeats after a random time (packet 3648). The NEC trace does not have such interrupts.

Why is that interrupt sent? Where is it coming from?

Additional info and observations below:

Observations:

- independent of activity/workload
- works perfectly under Windows 7 in XHCI mode
- works everywhere (Linux and Windows) when using USB 2.0 mode (EHCI)
- tried with kernels 4.0.5, 4.2.0 and 3.18.16 - no difference
- enabling/disabling runtime PM and USB power management doesn't make any difference
- works on a different host hardware with a NEC USB3.0 host controller (see details below). Tested with kernel 3.17.7.

Traces can be downloaded here:

http://wikisend.com/download/136936/usb3_intel.pcapng.gz
http://wikisend.com/download/612580/usb3_nec.pcapng.gz

Output of /var/log/messages demonstrating the issue: http://pastebin.com/wbUr5mMe