Re: Aw: Re: Intel XHCI: random URB_INTERRUPTs triggering port resets and device disconnects

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015, Eugen Rogoza wrote:

> > The only way to turn off Link Power Management currently is to disable
> > CONFIG_PM entirely.
>
> I recompiled the 4.2.0 having disabled CONFIG_PM:
>
> # CONFIG_PM is not set
>
> This time there were no observable disconnects after just plugging in
> the device and not doing anything else (like mounting). However, a
> disconnect happened much later while browsing the directory structure
> on a mounted FS of the HDD. Surprisingly, the disconnects do not
> strictly correlate with the load: some heavy copying and seeking back
> and forth in a HD movie worked just fine. Therefore I think the
> disconnect would have happened on an idle connection as well.

Okay, so Link Power Management isn't the answer.

> Below is a fresh trace. The reason for the disconnect is
> URB_INTERRUPT again (triggered in packet #2473):

You've got it backward.  The disconnect isn't _caused_ by the interrupt
URB; rather, the interrupt URB _reports_ the disconnect to the kernel.
In other words, the disconnect occurs first and then the interrupt URB
completes.

Alan Stern