Re: XHCI, "brain-dead scanner", and microframe rounding

Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@...> writes:

> just a heads up: retesting with 4.0.4 revealed, that this issue isn't
fixed

Thanks for the heads up; I'll stop trying to figure out the "clean" way to
upgrade my Debian box that far ahead of their packages. :)

> This behavior persists since Linux 3.16.x (where I setup this box).

Just FYI, I already experienced this with 3.14 as well.

> Please let me know, if I can be of any help for you for resolving this
> issue.

Count me in as well, although I'm not very familiar with the modern build
process.  (My last homebrew kernel was +12 years ago.)

> I find it a little sad, that at the dawn of USB 3.1, we still fight with
> such
> issues on the linux USB 3.0 front. Don't forget the many frustrated users
> observing this, that will not speak up.

I was in this camp.  I tried going through an external hub and a few other
tricks without success, then jumped on Google.  I saw that "they're
talking about it in the kernel mailing lists, it'll get fixed! yay!!" and
silently kept an eye on this thread and 1-2 others while my near-new
Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 sits on my desk unused (for the past 10 months
because I use USB 3.0 for backups).

I'm going to lose my cute uptime and switch my BIOS to USB 2 today though,
to reduce my "to scan" pile...  which is more reasonable than buying a USB
3 ScanSnap iX500 on impulse. :-/  I'll miss those fast backups though.