Re: optimal io size / custom alignment

Tom> All drives I have are flash drives so none of them reports 4k
Tom> physical sectors.

There are plenty of SSDs that report 4K physical sectors, fwiw.

Tom> The usb-storage driver does not read vpd so it won't be a thing,
Tom> but the the uas driver does.

We gave up on USB-SATA bridges long ago. Their designers appear to have
a pretty comprehensive misunderstanding of both the ATA and SCSI
protocols.

We had higher hopes for UAS since it provided a clean slate. So far,
however, the results are equally discouraging.

Tom> I just feel like the kernel shouldn't bind values from totally
Tom> different source (raid stripe vs vpd limit) to the same variable.

RAID devices communicate the stripe width through the Block Limits VPD.