Re: f_hid, f_mass_storage, and f_rdnis via configfs on platform/intel-mid

Hi Andrzej,

Thank you for your time.

I'd like to take a stab at FunctionFS before I start looking at
backporting hid and uvc from 3.19+

I found a lot of information (mainly from you [1] [2]) on gadget
ConfigFS and hid, but I'm
having less luck finding information on FunctionFS and the required daemons.

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 7:33 AM, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz
<andrzej.p@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> These days instead of gadgetfs one should probably use FunctionFS.
> The purpose of the two is delegating actual usb function implementation
> to userspace with some filesystem being the interface to the kernel.

It looks like I should be able to combine Ethernet, Mass Storage, and
HID this way.
(and it's supported all the way back to 3.10)
However I haven't found any ffs-daemon examples, including the
hid-daemon mentioned
in the kernel source.

Also I'm not quite sure how the loading g_ffs enables Ethernet in the docs.
Is g_ffs loaded after a g_multi that included Ethernet?

""" from Documentation/usb/functionfs.txt
One can imagine a gadget that has an Ethernet, MTP and HID interfaces
where the last two are implemented via FunctionFS. On user space
level it would look like this:

$ insmod g_ffs.ko idVendor=<ID> iSerialNumber=<string> functions=mtp,hid
$ mkdir /dev/ffs-mtp && mount -t functionfs mtp /dev/ffs-mtp
$ ( cd /dev/ffs-mtp && mtp-daemon ) &
$ mkdir /dev/ffs-hid && mount -t functionfs hid /dev/ffs-hid
$ ( cd /dev/ffs-hid && hid-daemon ) &
"""

[1] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/LinuxConNA2013-andrzej.pietrasiewicz-usb-gadget-configfs_0.pdf
[2] https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/USB/Linux_USB_Layers/Configfs_Composite_Gadget/Usage_eq._to_g_hid.ko