Re: External USB3 hard drive fails to connect (JMicron bridge 152d:0569)

On 17.10.2014 20:59, Matej Kenda wrote:
>> I got one icybox from Heinz Diehl some time ago, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem back then, but now
>> with a new laptop I can see it randomly disconnecting.
>>
>> However my issue is a bit different, I see several short packet errors before disconnect, you got
>> a context error.
>>
>> can you add xhci debugging, it should print out the context data of the failing setup context command.
>>
>> echo -n 'module xhci_hcd =p' > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
>>
>> before connecting the icybox
>
> After enabling debugs I did the following:
>
> * attached external IcyCox to USB 3 port
>   it was recognised and mounted automatically on Ubuntu Utopic
> * safely removed the disk from Ubuntu desktop
> * plugged out the disk
> * attached the disk again to the secons USB 3 port
>   disk was not recognised any more
>
> Complete kernel log from boot is attached.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matej

Thanks, the logs are just what I needed, they give several clues on what could be wrong.
I'm in the middle of debugging this, issues that I need to look closer on are:

* Device is recongnized as a USB3 SS device the first time, but as a USB2 HS device the second.

* the shorter than expected transfers (many of them), finally resetting port and device.

* Trying to reset device in already default (after reset) state

* failing enabling device (probably trying illegal state transition)  -> reset port and device

* Tranfer error

* ending up in a loop resetting device:
 - Transfer error on endpoint
 - Cleaning up stalled endpoint ring
 - Giveback URB ffff880328a0db40, len = 0, expected = 4096, status = -71
 - set port reset, reset device (succesfully)
 - Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 3.
 - disable port, try to reset device (fail, already in default state)
 - Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 3.
 - disable port, try to deset device
 - Fail to reset device Can't reset device (slot ID 3) in default state
 - Successful setup address command
 - Successful Endpoint Configure command
 - Transfer error on endpoint (back to beginning)

Mathias