Re: unfixable usb porthole

On Friday 17 October 2014 05:23:10 Greg KH did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 05:01:51AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 17 October 2014 03:48:48 Greg KH did opine
> >
> > And Gene did reply:

> > > No there isn't, it's a specific design of the device, we have had
> > > devices like this since the 1990's.  This is nothing new at all,
> > > and nothing that is a problem.

> > > As one who helped write a tiny portion of the spec, that's not true
> > > at all.  If you have specifics, I would be glad to discuss them.
> >
> > I have a copy of the 1.1 specs, before they put it behind a paywall.
> > I am glad you did have a small hand in it, thanks.
>
> There is no "paywall" for USB specs.  All specs are "backwards
> compatible", so the latest 3.0 spec has all of the 1.1 stuff in it as
> well.  It's just more stuff to wade through :)

I last looked about a year ago.  The only link google could find was
behind a $25,000 paywall because you had to join the consortium to access
it.  I was upset.  OTOH I am not even the dot at the end of a sentence in
the grand scheme of monetizing something. I'd be grateful for a URL to the
pdf.

> > > What needs to be "fixed"?
> >
> > The procedure to update that firmware.
>
> That's vendor-specific, and again, isn't a big deal at all.  I even
> helped create the spec that allows that to happen in a standard way.
> Linux supports that quite well.

> > > The only thing that is "new" is the fact that some people thought
> > > that the firmware of a USB device could not be changed to work
> > > like something else.  Again, that's never been true, and is
> > > nothing that "hurts" the operating system.
> >
> > Agreed, but if when it is plugged in, it goes out and installs a
> > keylogger,
>
> Wait, how can a USB device "install a keylogger"?  If that happens,
> then that is a bug in the kernel.  And yes, we did have a few bugs in
> that area in the past, specifically we fixed them over the past year,
> but that's a totally different thing than allowing the firmware of a
> device to be changed.

Good, someone saw the possibilities then.  Thanks.

> > now that is harming the user even if the code to do it is 100%
> > nicely written legal code.
>
> Again, there should never be a way for a USB device to arbitrarily
> execute code on your processor.  That's not part of the USB spec, and
> does not happen on Linux at all.  If it does, please let us know and it
> will be fixed.  So far, none of the "BadUSB" stuff actually does this,
> so that is not an issue.

Good.

> Beware of the press around this issue, it's very confusing, and
> incorrect.  This has been discussed in detail on the oss-security
> mailing list a few months ago if you are interested and want to go read
> the archives.

Not at 05:30 local time, but perhaps later today.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)