Re: Problem with USB-to-SATA adapters (was: AS2105-based enclosure size issues with >2TB HDDs)

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014, Matthew Dharm wrote:

> Is there an 'easy' way to override the detected size of a storage
> device from userspace?  If we had that, someone could write a helper
> application which looked for this particular fubar and try to Do The
> Right Thing(tm), or at least offer the user some options.

You mean, force a Media Change event and override the capacity reported
by the hardware?  I'm not aware of any API for doing that, although it
probably wouldn't be too hard to add one.

How would the user know what value to put in for the capacity?  Unless
the drive had been hooked up to a different computer and the user
manually noted the correct capacity and typed it in, it would have to
be guesswork.

Alan Stern