Re: Report about a "please report the device ID to the Linux USB developers!" message

On 2014-07-25 00:50, Antonio wrote:
Hi!

  [...] will probably fix your problem
Thank you for being kind. As far as I can tell, the modem is working
correctly, I wrote to this list because I saw a
"usb_modeswitch: please report the device ID to the Linux USB developers!"
message and I thought that reporting was my duty :-). But now I have the doubt
that if the reporting must be done always, or only in some cases.

This is the last message and the prior ones:
         Jul 23 19:19:53 laptop kernel: [63032.491639] sd 32:0:0:0: [sdc]
Attached SCSI removable disk
         Jul 23 19:19:53 laptop usb_modeswitch: switched to 19d2:ffffffff on
002/045
         Jul 23 19:19:54 laptop usb_modeswitch[9252]: usb_modeswitch: switched
to 19d2:0117 on 2/46
         Jul 23 19:19:55 laptop usb_modeswitch[9252]: usb_modeswitch: add
device ID 19d2:0117 to driver option
        Jul 23 19:19:55 laptop usb_modeswitch[9252]: usb_modeswitch: please
report the device ID to the Linux USB developers!
Maybe some text could be added to the last message to let the user know when
he should report the device ID to the Linux USB developers (always, or only in
some cases).

If the device 19d2:0117 is already supported by the option serial driver, as
you said, then it's possibly an effect of the bug that you talked about in the
text:
"What we see here is a device not being stable on the usb bus and the
same has been reported for Ubuntu 14.04, multiple switching due to the
device being reset"
and then other people may write in this list while this bug is not solved.

error -108 in your log is caused by the dongle no longer present, the
device numbers you get (44,45,46,47) are unusually high unless you have
plugged in and out a device so many times on that port.
Yes, yesterday I plugged in and out the device many times when I had to do
some tests, you are clever :-).  I looked for that "please report the device
ID to the Linux USB developers" text in the other /var/log/syslog* files, and
it isn't there, that message only was in the log of yesterday.

Many thanks for all!
The usb_modeswitch driver loading/driver bind check could do with an additional test when driver binding has failed, a check to see if the device has disappeared from the bus during the 1 sec time when usb_modeswitch waits for the driver to bind. If it has disappeared then don't throw the message about reporting the device to linux USB developers, I will suggest this to the creator of the program.