Re: [RFC 0/2] Support for Super Speed Link Layer Test

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014, Pratyush Anand wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 06:56:37PM +0800, Pratyush ANAND wrote:
> > Lecroy's USB Compliance suites provide option to test Link Layer Tests
> > for Super Speed device as well as host.
> >
> > As of now there is no standard way to test embedded host for these
> > tests.
> >
> > These patches modifies Linux USB host stack to carry out these tests for
> > embedded hosts. Modifications are still not complete. Patch 2 will have
> > few more sysfs nodes to support some failing tests.
> >
> > I am sending these as RFC for mainly to have your comment on framework
> > modifications. Please let me know, if there could be any better way to
> > do it.
>
> Do you see a better way of doing it than this implementation (which is
> creating a platform device for each new connection request from Link
> Layer Validation (LVS) device)?

How about just creating a normal USB device instead of a platform
device?  I think all you have to do is make usb_new_device() avoid
calling usb_enumerate_device() when the new flag is set.

Also, instead of adding a new quirk flag to every single USB device,
you probably should use something that is hcd-specific.  Then xhci-hcd
could register the new sysfs file, and it wouldn't be present for other
controller types or non-root hubs.

Alan Stern