Re: request for pointer to documentation on WUSB

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-02-27 at 11:51 -0600, Thomas Pugliese wrote:

> > > For what it is worth:
> > > https://www.olidata.com/partners/?module=products&task=subcategory&id=5
> > >

> > Ah. That devices is based on the Wisair chipset.  I don't know anything
> > about them other than the fact that they haven't made WUSB devices for
> > several years and may be out of business.  It's possible that you could
> > get it working but you would probably need to take a USB trace under
> > windows and reverse engineer any quirks that are causing it to fail with
> > the Linux driver.
>
> Urgh. Unfortunately I need to do certification tests soon.
> Can you recommend a working model?
>
> 	Regards
> 		Oliver

Well, the only WUSB association model supported in Linux is cable-based
association (CBAF).  I don't know of any shipping consumer device that
uses that model anymore.  In that process the CHID, CDID, and CKEY
exchange is done by plugging the wireless device into the host PC once
before it can be connected wirelessly.  Devices currently on the market
such as this:

http://store.warpia.com/product_p/SWP120A.htm?gclid=COCZpvHo77wCFSFo7AodQg0AWA

use either the ConnectToMe association method that was included in the
WUSB 1.1 draft spec or some proprietary version of that.

The devices I have been using are targetted for industrial environments
and come pre-associated with each other.  The CHID, CDID, and CKEY values
are provided with the device and thus will work with the existing Linux
driver.

So the short answer is that I don't know of any consumer WUSB product that
will work as is under Linux.  Sorry.

Thomas