Re: Upgrading just the USB core from 3.7 to tip?

Hi Alan,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is it possible to get any debugging information from the machines in
> the field?

At this point all I know is the usb_submit_urb() is returning -EBIGF.
In the 3.7 ehci_hcd driver that can come from one of three places and
I'm in the process of deploying some additional logging so at least I
know which of those three is causing it.  I do know that when it
occurs, it's not necessarily at the start of streaming (i.e. it's not
some sort of initial bandwidth reservation issue).  I see it happening
when the URBs are being actively serviced by the completion handler
and resubmitted.

>> I know this is an atypical thing to consider since most devs work on
>> the trunk, but can anybody give me a feel for how much breakage is
>> likely to occur If I move the tree between those two revs?  Have there
>> been a ton of changes to common frameworks in the kernel that
>> drivers/usb relies on?
>>
>> Suggestions welcome.
>
> That's a pretty hard question to answer.  Probably the best way to find
> out is try it and see what breaks.  It may be easier to back-port just
> the EHCI driver family and not the whole stack.

Yeah, I'll take a crack at it.  Figured I would ask to see if anybody
would come out and say "don't even try it - we know it to be a lost
cause."

> I can point out that in the last one or two kernel releases there were
> significant changes to the snd-usb-audio driver that affect the way it
> interacts with ehci-hcd.  Just to make your life more difficult...

Supposedly they never had this issue in 2.6.33, so presumably it's
some sort of regression in either the EHCI driver or snd-usb-audio
between 2.6.33 and 3.7.  That said, I'm hoping it's something already
fixed in 3.13 and I just need to find the right change to backport.

I know the ISO_ASAP behavior changed, but aside from that do you see
any reason that I wouldn't be able to backport the entire
snd-usb-audio driver from 3.13 (leaving the ehci driver at the 3.7
level)?

Cheers,

Devin

--