Re: [XHCI] commit ec513b1 from Linus triggers ASMedia quirk

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 04:16:49PM -0800, walt wrote:
> Hi Sarah and David.  I'm back with more ASMedia problems caused by this:
>
> commit ec513b16c480c6cdda1e3d597e611eafca05227b
> Merge: bcee634 2fc5a7d
> Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date:   Mon Jan 20 16:13:02 2014 -0800
>     Merge tag 'usb-3.14-rc1' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/usb
>
>     Pull USB updates from Greg KH:
>      "Here's the big USB pull request for 3.14-rc1
>
>       Lots of little things all over the place, and the usual USB gadget
>       updates, and XHCI fixes (some for an issue reported by a lot of
>       people).  USB PHY updates as well as chipidea updates and fixes.
>
> I've run the latest from linus.git on a different usb3 adapter (the NEC you
> know about from another thread) and it works just fine, so this appears to
> be yet another ASMedia quirk, but the symptoms are different this time.
>
> When booting this kernel (version mentioned above) the ASMedia adapter is
> recognized by the kernel, but the external disk in my USB3 disk docking
> station is not discovered or recognized in any way.
>
> I'm attaching selected parts of the dmesg for your puzzlement.  If you need
> more info please let me know.
>
> The striking thing about the dmesg is the absence of xhci debugging output.
> This kernel has usb verbose bugging enabled, but xhci has almost nothing to
> say.  That seems very suspicious to me.

That's because 3.13 and 3.14 have dynamic debugging turned off
automatically for the xHCI driver.  Try running this command as root:

echo -n 'module xhci_hcd =p' > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control

And double check if you have CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled.

> --
> I'm ready to douse the ASMedia card with gasoline and set it ablaze :) but
> if you for some strange reason want to debug this problem I'm available.

Try reverting commit 7dd09a1af2c7150269350aaa567a11b06e831003 "xhci:
replace xhci_write_64() with writeq()"  That caused problems with
another xHCI host controller that can only handle 32-bit DMA addresses.

If that doesn't work, can you use `git bisect` to find the bad commit?
E.g. if 3.13 worked, but that commit doesn't, do:

git bisect start
git bisect good v3.13
git bisect bad ec513b16c480c6cdda1e3d597e611eafca05227b

You'll be compiling and testing kernels for quite some time, probably.

Sarah Sharp