Re: XHCI - USB3 HDD not recognised

Hi Sarah.

On 12/18/13 17:23, Chris Clayton wrote:

> On 12/17/13 21:39, Sarah Sharp wrote:

>>> Hi Sarah and thanks for the reply.

>> So, after looking at the two different dmesg outputs, I think either
>> your host controller or the device is just not working at USB 3.0
>> speeds.  When you hot-plug the device, the host doesn't give a port
>> status event at all, so there's really nothing the xHCI driver can do.
>> Even when you plug in the host with the hard drive attached, it only
>> detects it as a USB 2.0 device.
>>
>> It really feels like the hardware is just broken.  Have you tried this
>> host and device combination under Windows?  I hate to say it, but
>> perhaps you want to try a different vendor for either the host or
>> device?

I think your feeling that hardware is broken is probably right. I've abandoned that card and bought one with a different
an NEC/Renesas chipset. That works fine - udev events are raised when drives are {un,}plugged and the performance
improvement over USB2 is very noticeable.

This message should help people who in the future search looking for information on  the linux compatibility of
expresscard USB3 adapters. The three-port adapters (in this case manufactured by AKE and) based on the Fresco Logic
chipset do not, at the time of writing, work with the linux XHCI driver.

Thanks for your analysis.