Re: XHCI - USB3 HDD not recognised

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 11:59:15AM +0000, Chris Clayton wrote:
> On 12/13/13 16:38, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 02:31:47PM +0000, Chris Clayton wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >
> > Hi Chris,
> >

> Hi Sarah and thanks for the reply.
>
> > Thanks for the bug report!
> >
> >> Firstly, I'm not subscribed, so please cc me on any replies.
> >>
> >> I see the problem I describe below on 3.12.[0..5] and on the current 3.13 development kernel, including a kernel pulled
> >> from Linus' tree just a few minutes ago. The diagnostics below and the config file attached are from 3.12.5. I can
> >> easily repeat on 3.13 if that would be more useful.
> >>
> >> My Fujitsu Lifebook AH531 laptop has an expresscard slot and I bought an expresscard USB3.0 card.

So, after looking at the two different dmesg outputs, I think either
your host controller or the device is just not working at USB 3.0
speeds.  When you hot-plug the device, the host doesn't give a port
status event at all, so there's really nothing the xHCI driver can do.
Even when you plug in the host with the hard drive attached, it only
detects it as a USB 2.0 device.

It really feels like the hardware is just broken.  Have you tried this
host and device combination under Windows?  I hate to say it, but
perhaps you want to try a different vendor for either the host or
device?

If you plug in other USB 2.0 or 1.1 devices into the xHCI expresscard,
do those work?  E.g. a mouse, keyboard, hub, etc.  If they do, I would
lean towards trying to find a replacement USB 3.0 hard drive.  If they
don't, I would try to replace the xHCI host.  Or if the host is cheaper
to replace, maybe try replacing that first?

Sorry I can't be of more help, I just don't know how to fix this.  The
only thing I could possibly think would help is enabling the compliance
mode polling.  Maybe the USB 3.0 port is stuck in compliance mode, and
can't give the xHCI host a port status change event?  Can you send me
the output of `sudo lspci -vvv -n` and `sudo lspci`?

Sarah Sharp