Re: XHCI issues: WD MyBook 1230 - reset SuperSpeed USB device

Christian,

Douglas, Hannes: I believe we are definitely on to something. I do _not_ run smartd but this may be caused by something in my Gnome3 GUI environment. I have noticed that when I am not logged in to Gnome and work just in the text console, plugging in the USB drive and accessing it works without any issues. Only when I am logged into my Gnome and plug the drive in, Gnome obviously tries to do something with the drive that causes it to stall and recover in 30 seconds. I have not yet been able to identify what it is.

Gnome disk utility?

AFAIK it relies on libatasmart. The source code of libatasmart is unrelated to smartmontools.

I am not intentionally starting or running any disk utility when plugging the USB disk to my notebook. I am simply logged to Gnome3, have my terminal window open, plug in the disk - and voila, I can be sure that within 30 seconds, I get a dmesg log about the drive being reset, without even calling the gdisk utility I've been using earlier (note - no change of behavior here, it was just me trying to work with the drive right after it was recognized, which obviously coincided with some Gnome subsystem trying to lay its hands on the drive as well - perhaps the automount, udisksd, or something else). I will try to find out what exactly is fired up in Gnome when I plug in the drive, and will update this thread as soon as I have something new.

Best regards,
Peter