Re: Similar Elan Touchscreen reset behaviour

On Fri, 3 Jan 2014, Eric Decker wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 7:46 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> > kernel
> >
> > By "reattaches", do you mean that the ELAN touchscreen disconnects from
> > the USB bus and then reconnects?
> >

> I see messages saying that the device is disconnected.   It doesn't say why
> so I don't
> know if the the ELAN h/w is doing it or not.

That was a "what" question, not "why".  _What_ do you mean by
"reattaches"?  _What_ device is mentioned in those messages?

> > If you get different behavior at different times using the same
> > software, then most likely it's an intermittent hardware problem.
> >

> So I took my current installed kernel....
>
> Linux zot 3.11.0-15-generic #23-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 9 18:17:04 UTC 2013
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> And rebooted like 4 times in a row.   The behaviour is the same.

Okay.  I thought you said before that it had trouble finishing the boot
process and that later on it was behaving itself.

> The infinite loop happened with different s/w.   It was a grub environment
> booting a casper image of some type.

The boot environment should not matter.  I don't know what casper is.

> I've looked at the log from the reboots mentioned above and they all look
> the same.
>
> I think something is tickling the ELAN h/w in someway.   I've been keeping
> an eye on the logs and haven't seen
> any misbehaviour on the part of the touch screen.
>
> Its not acting like it is an intermittent.   It is acting like a complex
> bug of somekind.   One that we don't have
> enough visibility on.
>
> I'm happy to try and find out what is going on but I am not far enough up
> the learning curve to know what to look at.
>
> I've done embedded and h/w/s/w kinds of things for a long time (4th s/w
> engineer at cisco) so know my way around just
> not on this stuff.   So if you point me in the right direction, that would
> be a big help.
>

> I've enclosed both a summary that I've pulled out from the syslog of the
> reboots as well as the syslog....

You can try running usbmon (see the instructions in
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt) to see what happens during one of those
disconnect/reconnect cycles.

Alan Stern