Re: stat inconsistency with overlayfs

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Atom2 <ariel.atom2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mikolos,
> thanks for joining the party.
>
> Am 03.03.15 um 16:14 schrieb Miklos Szeredi:
>
>> Atom2,
>>
>>> The use case behind that is to be able to backup only files from the
>>> upperdir for several systems sharing a common lowerdir filesystem. I have
>>> used that (scripted approach via rsync) now for quiet some time and a few
>>> kernels back and it seemed to have worked very well.
>>

>> Why don't you just back up the upper directory itself instead of
>> messing around with device numbers?
>

> I am not aware of any such option, but if you could explain that a little
> bit more in detail, I am happy to explore other options.
>
> Just for everybody to be on the same page: In my use case the r/o lowerdir's
> root directory is also the root of my file system (which is shared across
> many systems) from which (all) the systems boot. Using an initramfs during
> the boot process, the upperdir file system (which is different per system)
> is then r/w overlay-mounted over the common r/o lowerdir's root directory in
> order to catch any r/w access to the file system.
>
> So in essence and according to my understanding there's no direct access to
> (only) the r/w upperdir (or only the lowerdir) from within any of the
> running systems other than using the device field to see where a file system
> entry actually exists - at least that's my current understanding.

Having access to the upperdir is just your own choice.

Without knowing the details of how you set up the mounts I can't give
you a concrete example, but see for example the pivot_root(8) man page
on how to get access to your old mountpoint.  You can also use bind
mounts to clone the upperdir into the overlay namespace.

Thanks,
Miklos