Re: Help in enabling early boot tracing

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 03:04:00 +0300
Xenia Ragiadakou <burzalodowa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> If you want, I can look for those patches and perhaps they may help
> >> you. I think you are the second person to ask for them. I probably
> >> should do it regardless ;-)
> > Heh, you should get an OPW intern to complete the patches in the next
> > round. ;)
> >
> > Sarah Sharp
>
> Hi Steven,
>
> Even after configuring the kernel with the xhci driver as built-in, i
> did not manage to enable xgci trace events early, by setting the
> trace_event boot option. If you ever have time and find this patch, is
> it possible to send it to me too?

I inadvertently sent it out yesterday with my updates to the module
code :-)

https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/8/13/699

I manually made the patch set and then used my scripts to post the
changes, but since it also had my "work in progress" patch that enabled
tracepoints by modules, it was included in the cover email, but was not
one of the main patches.

That cover email has all the changes needed to enable module
tracepoints at load time. Just apply that patch from 0/3 (not the
individual patches), and then load your module with:

 insmod <module> trace_foo=1 trace_bar=1 trace_zoot=1 etc, etc

and it will enable the tracepoints when the module is loaded. Let me
know if that works for you. I still need to massage it a bit to make it
ready for mainline. But Rusty already applied the three module changes
for his 3.12 queue.

-- Steve