Re: Help in enabling early boot tracing

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 20:07:29 +0300
Xenia Ragiadakou <burzalodowa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to enable a trace event early so that i can view the debug
> statements trace generated during usb 3.0 host controller driver
> initialization.
>
> I followed the instruction in Documentation/trace/events.txt:
> "In order to facilitate early boot debugging, use boot option:
> trace_event=[event-list] where event-list is a comma separated list of
> events."
> and added trace_event=[xhci-hcd:xhci_dbg_init] (where xhci-hcd is the
> trace system and xhci_dbg_init is the trace event that i want to enable)
> in the boot parameters but it did not work.
>
> More specifically, I added in /etc/grub/default:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="trace_event=[xhci-hcd:xhci_dbg_init]"
>
> After updating grub, boot parameters in /boot/grub/grub.cfg were changed
> into:
> linux    /boot/vmlinuz-3.9.9.130805+
> root=UUID=8af1b7fc-76c1-4cab-97ef-78ef5e29e084 ro
> trace_event=[xhci-hcd:xhci_dbg_init] quiet radeon.audio=1
>
> Do I miss something? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Ksenia,

I'm guessing that xhci-hcd is a module. Currently we do not have a way
to enable events on module load. We have talked about implementing this
feature, and I believe I even have patches somewhere that do it, but we
never pushed it to completion.

If you want, I can look for those patches and perhaps they may help
you. I think you are the second person to ask for them. I probably
should do it regardless ;-)

-- Steve