Re: PATCH [0/4] perf: clean-up of power events API

 On 10/8/2010 6:41 AM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
* Arjan van de Ven (arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
  On 10/8/2010 1:38 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
The fundamental thing about tracing/instrumentation is that there are no
deep ABI needs: it's all about analyzing development kernels (and a few
select versions that get the enterprise treatment) but otherwise the
half-life of this kind of information is very short.

So we dont want to tie ourselves down with excessive ABIs.

ok I'll start working on a second mechanism then to export information
that applications need ;-(
it'll look a lot like tracing I suppose ;-(
What's wrong with doing the compatibility layer in a LGPL library shipped with
the kernel tree under tools/ ?

because that is not workable... at least nobody has shown to be able to make this work. libraries (after compilation) live in /lib or /usr/lib (or lib64 I suppose)..... what mechanism ensures that a user who compiles his kernel gets a library compatible with that kernel in /usr/lib?
and can said library deal with older kernels too? And distro kernels?

Why does everything *have* to be done in
kernel-space
it doesn't. but the alternative must be workable.
  Why are you so focused on making your application interact
directly with kernel ABIs ?

I'm being direct because there are trivial solutions to your problem that you
are rejecting without due consideration. (and also I just had one coffee too
many) ;-)

since you seem to think that dealing with such a library is trivial... how about you do it for one function even, to
show that the deployment/use-in-an-app is workable.
I'd be more than happy to use it if it's workable and the API is at least halfway sane.