Re: PATCH [0/4] perf: clean-up of power events API

* Arjan van de Ven (arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>  On 10/8/2010 1:38 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>>
>> The fundamental thing about tracing/instrumentation is that there are no
>> deep ABI needs: it's all about analyzing development kernels (and a few
>> select versions that get the enterprise treatment) but otherwise the
>> half-life of this kind of information is very short.
>>
>> So we dont want to tie ourselves down with excessive ABIs.
>>

> ok I'll start working on a second mechanism then to export information
> that applications need ;-(
> it'll look a lot like tracing I suppose ;-(

What's wrong with doing the compatibility layer in a LGPL library shipped with
the kernel tree under tools/ ? Why does everything *have* to be done in
kernel-space ? Why are you so focused on making your application interact
directly with kernel ABIs ?

I'm being direct because there are trivial solutions to your problem that you
are rejecting without due consideration. (and also I just had one coffee too
many) ;-)

Regards,

Mathieu

--