Re: trace-cmd python

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 14:09:30 +0100
Johannes Berg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Seems to work more or less.
>
> Not sure how I managed to install it into a custom subdirectory of my
> $HOME before, and make it load plugins - I can't seem to figure out the
> right combination of prefix= and DESTDIR= anymore.

DESTDIR is where you want to install it for moving it to another
machine. If you plan on running trace-cmd on the same machine, but
having it look elsewhere, then just using prefix should be enough.

> If I symlink it to a place where trace-cmd actually looks for it then I
> get errors in python saying pevent_record_data_get() is not defined, but

Looks to be an old object that it's linking with, as we replaced all
"pevent_" with "tep_".

> could be that I'm not importing something right ...
>
> What's a good way to install it into a custom directory without
> affecting the whole machine?

The prefix tells the build to have the executables search that path.
The DESTDIR is for installing in a particular location that you will
move that code to another machine.

e.g.

  make prefix=/usr/local DESTDIR=/tmp/tracecmd install

Will install the executables in /tmp/tracecmd, but when you run those
executables, they will want to look in the /usr/local path.

It should also always search your home directory in ".trace-cmd/plugins"

-- Steve