Re: [GIT PULL 4/8] clk: tegra: Changes for v4.2-rc1

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 12:50:21PM -0700, Stephen Boyd wrote:
> On 05/21, Mikko Perttunen wrote:

> > > Can someone please describe why we need to do software
> > > reparenting at a specific point in time during a frequency
> > > switch? I must have missed out on the conversation somewhere and
> > > looking at the commit that introduces the function, the argument
> > > for why the API is exposed:
> > >
> > >       To be used by clock implementations for switching to a new
> > >       parent during rate change.
> > >
> > > is lacking in any details about *why* we need it.
> > >

> > Hi Stephen,
> >
> > the way the EMC clock rate is set in hardware is similar to other
> > clocks, i.e. there's a register and you write the new divider and parent
> > id to it. However, with EMC, you cannot just do this any time you want;
> > writing to the register initiates a state machine in the clock hardware
> > that changes a large number of other parameters regarding DRAM timings
> > as well. These parameters need to be programmed into shadow registers
> > before the rate change write is done. This means that both the new
> > divisor and the parent must be written in the same register write.
> >
> > The CCF has a callback, set_rate_and_parent, which allows for both to be
> > passed to the driver at the same time. However, it also requires
> > set_rate and set_parent to be implemented, which the EMC driver cannot do.
>
> Ok so we should change the framework to allow drivers to only
> implement set_rate_and_parent and use that in set_rate and
> set_parent implementations if it's the only option available. Or
> is there a problem if CCF allows clk_set_parent() on the EMC
> clock by calling set_rate_and_parent() with the new parent and
> whatever recalc_rate returns for the new parent's rate going into
> the clock?
>

> > Furthermore, the CCF cannot help with parent selection for the EMC clock
> > at all. The parent for each rate is selected by the board designer.
>
> I'm not following this part. The CCF mostly asks clock providers
> what parent should be used when clk_set_rate() is called.

There are a fixed number of allowed EMC OPPs per board. For each OPP there is
a set of EMC parameters, the parent clock and the rate for the parent clock
defined. Due to jitter requirements these settings have to be used. It's
not allowed to choose a different parent even when that would result in the
same clock rate.

> > There is also the issue that sometimes, the EMC driver cannot directly
> > switch to the target (rate, parent) pair; instead it is necessary to
> > switch first to another pair we call a backup timing. In this situation,
> > we temporarily have a parent that is neither the one we had before the
> > set_rate call or the one it will be after. Especially, if the switch to
> > the backup timing succeeds but the following switch to the target timing
> > fails, then without the reparent call the parent in hardware would be
> > left inconsistent with the software state.
>
> Yes, I've sent a patch a while ago to support an idea of a "safe
> parent" or a backup timing that can be used while a clock is
> reprogrammed. Mike has also proposed the concept of "coordinated
> clock rates" which would do something similar and allow clock
> providers to control complicated rate transitions themselves. It
> seems that we may be able to use the "safe parent" concept here,
> where first we switch to some other parent, call the set_rate*
> op, and then switch the parent back if we're not already using
> the parent that we should be using.

Due to the interlock between the CAR block and the EMC controller, there
is a precise sequence of register accesses to be followed when doing a EMC
frequency switch. Changing the EMC clock parent or divider in CAR triggers
a state machine in the EMC controller which causes a bunch of shadow registers
to take effect and a FIFO of commands to be send to the SDRAM chips.
Because of this precise sequence, I think a single entity should be responsible
for handling this. Splitting the sequence in multiple parts maintained by
different people, will greatly increase the risk of difficult to trace
stability regressions.

Peter.