Re: How to enable speech during boot up?

Hi Terry,

Le 7/11/24 à 06:00, Terry D. Cudney a écrit :

> --> The problem will them be concurrent access to the audio card between
> --> espeakup and speech-dispatcher. If in the desktop you use alsa and the
> --> dmix module, that should work fine.
>
>     Ah! That seems to be where the problem lies! The desktop is using pipewire/pulseaudio.
>

> **--**> *** Key question:
> What is the best way to disable pulseaudio/pipewire/wireplumber/whatever and force the desktop to use alsa, dmix?

You do not have to.

You can set in /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf alsa as AudioOutputMethod
or set it as libao and set default_driver=alsa on /etc/libao.conf.

Then you can redirect the audio output deop puse to dmix. For instance in
/etc/pulse/default.pa:

### In Slint, we want to share audio resources between speech apps that
### rely on alsa and other apps that rely on pulseaudio.
load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoop

With this setting pulse is not disabled (but started only in demand, by
applications that require it), I have speech during boot up, both if the system
stats in console mode or in a graphical environment, I can hear the music
started in a graphical environment while in a tty.

Caveat: I remember that Samuel had objections about this setup, I do not
remember which ones, maybe he does? All I can say is I do not receive complaints
by Slint users about these default settings.

Another solution is proposed in the Arch wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseAudio/Examples#PulseAudio_as_a_minimal_unintrusive_dumb_pipe_to_ALSA

> -->If you use pulseaudio or pipewire
> --> you'll get a conflict. This is a concern that I've never found time
> --> to tackle, and I have hoped for years that somebody else would have
> --> a look at it since it won't involve coding, but discussing properly
> --> with pulseaudio/pipewire people to work out a proper solution. In the
> --> meanwhile people have rather looked at workarounds and stay half-happy
> --> with that...
> -->
> --> Samuel
>
>     I'm happy to lose pulseaudio/pipewire et al and use alsa/dmix.
>
>     Question out of curiosity: What does pulseaudio add; why are  distributions seeming to abandon alsa in favour of pulseaudio?

Well, to know everything about pulseaudio, you can read  PulseAudio under the
hood from Victor Gaydov: https://gavv.net/articles/pulseaudio-under-the-hood/

>     My naive observation is that pulseaudio just adds a lot of complexity...

Amazingly the introduction of pulseaudio in Slackware triggered the same
question some years ago and even flame wars, leading Patrick Volkerding
 to during some time propose a variant "alsa only" ;)

All this being said I know nothing about pipewire and systemd.

Cheers,
Didier