Re: Can We `Please Enjoy Single Digit Numbering in Speakup?

I wrote a small perl program to put spaces between the digits because
the vocalizer voice of speech dispatcher does this crazy million
... thing.  So, when I have a program that is going to output phone
numbers, I put the number through this program.

On Mon, 06 May 2024 08:39:36 -0400,
Janina Sajka wrote:

> Providing text to speech readback of a string of numeric digits as
> individual digits rather than as a number would indeed be useful.
> However, I'm not so sure that's a Speakup problem, meaning that I
> suspect this is a bug with the TTS itself.
>
> Historically, TTS engines have assumed responsibility for similar
> content interpretations. This has always been problematic and
> inappropriate, imo, but getting them to understand that has proven
> problematic in my experience. My favorite example is the way Eloquence
> (and it's Linux versions) insisted on rendering cd as "cendelas," not
> change directory, not compact disc, not even certificate of deposit, but
> candelas as if we blind folks were exclusively fixated on measuring
> luminosity in some arbitrary direction!
>
> Rendering strings of numeric digits as digits would actually satisfy the
> more common use case, imo. I find it annoyingly difficult to translate a
> phone number from a speech rendering that starts with so many billion,
> followed by so many million, and then so many thousands. And why? Just
> because some developer saw an opportunity to show off how clever they were?
>
> But to go back to my original point, I don't believe Speakup is
> processing any semantic understanding of the text it feeds to the speech
> engine. And, that's what it would take to solve this problem in Speakup.
> I could be wrong, of course.
>
> Best,
> Janina
>
> Chime Hart writes:
> > Hi All: I think Speakup is an only screen-reader in almost any platform
> > without an option to switch to hear single digits while reading. Maybe
> > Chromevox may not have this, but just about all others from DOS up through
> > Fenrir have offered this in some form. While it may seem like a small thing,
> > while reading an Alpine mail index, hearing the word "hundred" feels as if
> > it wastes alot of time. If it would be more official I can file a wish-list
> > bug against speakup-tools? When I run reportbug, that seems an only package
> > to file against. And speaking of outstanding bugs, back on February 20 I
> > filed
> > #1062507
> > about the DecTalk drivers. Funny thing was, even while reading over what I
> > had submitted, settings dropped. I looked around the Speakup drivers
> > directory in a newest 6.9 kernel, where a specific change which Samuel had
> > helped me with reguarding flush time. 10 is wonderful but in dectlk.c it
> > still says 4000.
> > In basicly nearly 21years of useing Speakup, an only other wish list item
> > would be an exception dictionary. Again, an item in most other
> > screen-readers. Thanks so much in advance for listing-and-considering these.
> > Chime
>
> --
>
> Janina Sajka (she/her/hers)
> Accessibility Consultant https://linkedin.com/in/jsajka

> [...]