volume set in speakup

Hi Group,
In a VM I have Ubuntu Server running, and I just now went in to update it, since I haven't used it in a while.
I'm using speakup in there, and I guess I never got around to lowering the volume, it is quite loud.
I did insert + 2 I think it was to lower it for now, but I want to make it permanent.
I looked in /etc/speakup for a settings file, but didn't notice anything relevant.
Do I have to change this in speechd.conf?
Thanks.